Critics loved it! Apple! Stellar cast! Apple! Very little opening weekend competition! Apple! How could it not be blockbuster?
1. Only 64% of Americans have a smartphone.
2. 47% of those Americans use Android. There’s basically half your viewers gone.
3. 28% of Apple owners are over 50 and can barely text, never mind worship the ghost of Jobs.
4. Only 40% of movie goers are interested in seeing biopics in the theater.
5. People fail to realize that only populations of major cities really care about these types of Oscar bait-inside story movies
Take those nuggets and lets do some math! This means that since roughly 62% of American adults go to the movies every weekend, only about 105 million people would even consider going to see the movie, (this ignores 46% of the population that doesn’t even have a smartphone) and they have a choice of over 45 movies in wide release and several dozen more in limited runs….
So even if all 105 million Americans that like Apple & like biopics went to see it, they would have made roughly $16 mil this weekend. It made $7.3 mil. They forecast at least $19 mil
The bigger question is, who was dumb enough to green light it?